Small Second Dwellings

In 2023, the Victorian Government made changes to the Victoria Planning Provisions, all planning schemes and building regulations to make it easier to build a small second home in residential and rural areas across Victoria. 

Following the Victorian Government’s Housing Statement: The decade ahead 2024-2034, a small second home, also known as a granny flat, secondary dwelling or an accessory dwelling unit, no longer requires a planning permit in most cases where there is no flooding, environmental or other special planning controls. 


A small second home is defined as a dwelling that is 60 square metres or less with a kitchen, bathroom and toilet, located on the same lot as an existing home.

A small second home must not be connected to reticulated natural gas and cannot be subdivided or separately sold off from the main home. It also doesn’t require a car parking space.

Anyone can live in or rent-out a small second home, including a family member, dependent person or unrelated persons.

You can find out more about requirements and permit exemptions for small second dwellings on your property in the Small Dwellings Applicant Guide.

If you have reviewed the guide and are still unsure if your second dwelling requires a planning permit please contact the planning department by phone or via the online enquiry link below.

A building permit is still required for all small second homes, to meet siting, amenity, design and safety requirements.

The residential tenancy requirements that apply to a home also apply to a small second home, including room sizes, facilities and smoke alarms.

More information is available from Consumer Affairs Victoria.