Do you need a planning permit or a building permit?

What is the difference between a planning permit and a building permit?

Planning permits are legal documents giving permission for land use or development to occur on a specified parcel of land.
Building permits are issued by a registered building surveyor and generally relate only to the construction aspects of a particular building or development. However, there are times when a planning permit may also be required.

If a planning permit is required, it must be obtained before a building permit can be issued, however, both applications can be made at the same time.
A planning permit does not remove the need to obtain a building permit.

How do I know if I need a permit?

We have designed user friendly 3d models which will help advise which permit you require.
We also have a self-help tool that you can easily enter in your property address, and it will take you to a page to download your property planning report, which will have information on which overlays

Residential 3d Model

Commercial 3d Model

Farming 3d Model

We have created the below tool to help you gather information that may be needed for your permit.

Search your address in the box below, and it will take you to another page where you can download your property planning report.

The Property Planning report has information that will show which overlays are affecting which regions of your property, which will assist in knowing if any permits will be required.

For more information, please contact the Planning Team.

You generally need to obtain a council planning permit to change the use of land, construct a new building or change existing buildings.

You may need a planning permit to:

  • start a business
  • prune or remove a tree
  • subdivide land
  • build two or more dwellings (units/townhouses)
  • extend your home
  • change the use of land or buildings
  • display a sign
  • reduce required car parking spaces
  • develop in rural areas
  • open a restaurant, cafe, bar or tavern
  • install a satellite dish
  • remove or vary a covenant/restriction
  • develop in the Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO).


If you plan to do some building work around the house, you should check with us to find out whether you need a building permit.

You may need a building permit for the following types of works:

  • building extensions and renovations
  • carports
  • garages and sheds
  • building removal
  • pergolas
  • verandas and deckings
  • retaining walls
  • re-stumping an existing building