Municipal Emergency Management Planning Committee (MEMPC)
Under the Emergency Management Act 1986 and 2013, municipal councils must establish a Municipal Emergency Management Planning Committee (MEMPC). The MEMPC is responsible for preparing, reviewing, and maintaining a Municipal Emergency Management Plan (MEMP).
The Northern Grampians Shire MEMP(PDF, 1MB) includes strategies to prevent, prepare, respond to and recover from emergencies which may occur within the Northern Grampians Shire and impact on residents and infrastructure. The MEMP responds to the economic and social effects of emergencies including loss of life, destruction of property, and dislocation of individuals and communities.
The broad objectives of the plan are to:
- Identify, treat, and evaluate potential risks that could impact on the Northern Grampians Shire community. This includes pandemic, extreme heat, fire, and flood planning.
- Implement measures to prevent or reduce the causes or effects of those emergencies.
- Detail arrangements for the activation and coordination of municipal resources in response to emergencies.
- Detail arrangements for the provision of assistance to the community recovering from an emergency event.
- Complement other local, regional, and state planning arrangements.
The Northern Grampians Shire MEMPC includes the following membership:
- Northern Grampians Shire Council - MEMO (Municipal Emergency Management Officer) - (Chair)
- Victoria Police - MERC (Municipal Emergency Response Coordinator)
- Country Fire Authority
- Ambulance Victoria
- Victoria State Emergency Service
- Australian Red Cross
- Department of Families, Fairness and Housing
- Community representative
- Local emergency service and agency representatives and others, as required
The Northern Grampians Shire Council Emergency and After-Hours Number is 03 5358 8700.
Our council offices are open from Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays), between 8.30am and 4.45pm
Please address all correspondence to:
Chief Executive Officer.
PO Box 580, Stawell VIC 3380.