NGSC Community Care
Council delivers two services under our community care program. The first is the Victorian Home and Community Care Program for Younger People (VICHACC) aged under 65 years and the second is the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP), for people aged 65 years and over.
Referral to the service
For referral to the service for residents aged under 65 years, contact the Northern Grampians Shire Council office directly on 03 5358 0514.
Residents who may be eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme are encouraged to make contact with the NDIS National Contact Centre directly on 1800 800 110 or visit the NDIS website at www.ndis.gov.au
For residents aged over 65 years, all referrals must be made to the Commonwealth Home Support Program through My Aged Care via:
Phone: 1800 200 422
Staff at My Aged Care will assist you to register and a referral will be sent to the Northern Grampians Shire Regional Assessment Service for assessment. If you require assistance from council staff to undertake this process, please phone 03 5358 8700.
Eligibility and assessment
After council has received your referral for assessment we will arrange to meet with you to assess your needs. If eligible, you will be supported to select the service provider of your choice and if this service provider is the council, the assessment staff will complete a service-specific assessment and the referral will then be passed on to council to provide this service.
Council provides a number of services:
- Domestic assistance - assistance with household tasks including general housework, laundry, shopping and meal preparation
- Personal care - assistance with bathing, grooming and dressing
- Respite care - to provide the primary carer with the opportunity to have a break. This involves a direct care worker either taking the care recipient out or caring for the person in their home while the carer goes out
- Meals on Wheels - the delivery of pre-prepared nutritional meals to your home by volunteers
- Living at home assessments - comprehensive and holistic assessment undertaken in your own home. The assessment identifies the range and type of services that will best assist you to maintain your independence and enhance your health and wellbeing. This may include referrals to other allied health services
- Home maintenance - to assist with ensuring the client’s home is safe and accessible, which can include minor household repairs, installation of handrails, changing of light bulbs, and improving access in the home environment. (Cost of materials is in addition to the service hourly rate)
- Senior Citizens - connecting older people with an interest group or social opportunities in the community. People aged 55 and over (or with a disability) are eligible to attend Senior Citizens centres
For more information, please call the Community Care Team on 03 5358 0514 during the hours of 8.30am - 4.45pm Monday to Friday.
Public holidays: On public holidays we only provide essential services that includes personal care. Meals on Wheels are delivered on the business day prior; shopping support services are rescheduled for a different time that week and domestic services are cancelled till the following fortnight. If you are unsure, you can phone 03 5358 8700 and speak to the on-call staff member, who can forward you to a member or the Community Care Team.