Cat and dog registration

All cats and dogs from 12 weeks (3 months) of age need to be registered and permanently implanted with a microchip. Once registered, the council issued registration tag should be attached to the animal's collar and remain on your dog or cat at all times.
Each April you will receive a renewal notice for your pet's registration. If you would like to receive your renewal notice via email, please ensure council has your correct email address. Fees can be paid at council's customer service centres located at:

Stawell Town Hall

59-69 Main Street
Stawell, VIC 3380 

St Arnaud Municipal Offices

40 Napier Street
St Arnaud, VIC, 3478

A reduced fee applies to animals that are sterilised and microchipped, VCA or FCC registered, or over 10 years old and carrying an identifying microchip.
The 'onus of proof' of any of the above is on the applicant. Documentation, for example, written proof of sterilisation, should be forwarded to support the application.
If you wish to register your animal with Northern Grampians Shire Council, please complete the New Registration Form below.
Please note: This form is for new animal registrations only. If you wish to pay your animal registration fee, please call 03 5358 8700 for assistance.
If the animal is deceased or its details have changed from the description on the registration notice, please notify council and forward the appropriate supporting documents.

Declared dangerous dogs (other than guard dogs) and restricted breed dogs (including Pit Bull Terriers) cannot be registered with Northern Grampians Shire Council.


The maximum number of dogs and/or cats allowed on one property is as follows:

  • Less than two hectares in area - two dogs and two cats.
  • More than two hectares in area - four dogs and four cats.
  • If you have more than the allowed number of cats/dogs you will need to apply for an Excess Animal Permit.
  • The fee for an excess or prohibited animal permit is $79.00.

Excess/prohibited animals application form >>

Halls Gap became a cat free zone on 21 October 1993.

No occupier of property in the Halls Gap area (maps 35, 36 and 37 of the Northern Grampians Planning Scheme) may keep a cat in their possession.

If you are caught housing cat(s) in a cat free zone, council will enforce a Notice to Comply. Offenders may receive infringements of up to $100.

If you know someone that may have cat(s) or kitten(s) and they are residing in the cat free zone please contact Council on 03 5358 8700.