Great reasons to work for us
Our employees work at Northern Grampians Shire Council because they are passionate, collaborative and committed to both the community and the work they do. The scale and diversity of the work that local government is required to deliver means that there are many different career opportunities and pathways available within the organisation. These include:
- Roads, bridges and drainage
- Early childhood services
- Environment and sustainability
- Community development and wellbeing
- and many others.
Because we are a smaller organisation, we can provide you with opportunities to act in leadership roles, transition between teams and participate in a range of collaborative projects with other team members or the wider community.
We provide a supportive and flexible environment that values the balance between work and our employees' personal lives. We work with our staff to develop working arrangements that enable them to accommodate their personal commitments and enjoy all that our communities have to offer.
Our progressive activity-based work environment allows our employees to choose where they work each day. We provide a variety of different work spaces, including quiet areas for tasks that require a high level of concentration, and collaboration rooms to facilitate the sharing of ideas. We also provide sit-stand desks to ensure our employees are comfortable while they work.
In addition to supporting the development of the community you live in, there are many other benefits to working in local government. These include:
- Ongoing training and personal development opportunities
- Hybrid work arrangements (including remote working) for eligible roles and flexible start and finish times
- Rostered or accrued days off for full-time staff
- 16 weeks paid parental leave for primary carers regardless of gender
- Ability to purchase up to four weeks additional leave each year
- Gradual increase or decrease in hours to support transition from parental leave or to retirement
- Access to paid leave for assisted reproductive treatment, gender transition or to respond to family violence
- Salary sacrificing including novated leases
- Discounted gym membership
- An employee assistance counselling program
To successfully deliver our services, we need talented, committed employees across a range of skilled, trade, professional and managerial roles. We offer career development opportunities through graduate placements, apprenticeships, traineeships, work experience and career progression.