Electoral Representation Review and Council Elections

Northern Grampians Shire Council Electoral Representation Review

The Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) has released the final report for the Northern Grampians Shire Council Electoral Representation Review. The report can be read here(PDF, 2MB).

The final report details the VEC's recommendation to the Minister for Local Government that Northern Grampians Shire Council continues to consist of seven councillors elected from four wards with adjustments to the current ward boundaries.


By law, every Victorian council must have its electoral structure reviewed approximately every 12 years to ensure it provides fair and equitable representation for all voters.

This review is called an electoral representation review and considers:

  • whether the local council has the appropriate number of councillors

  • whether the local council should be subdivided into wards or be unsubdivided and

  • if subdivided, the number of wards, ward boundaries and the number of councillors per ward.

The VEC will release its final report on Wednesday 25 March which can be read here.

Northern Grampians Shire Council General Elections

Elections and voting

Local council elections are held on the fourth Saturday of October every four years. The next council election will be held on Saturday 24 October 2020.

More information will be posted on this page in the lead up to the election.

Candidate induction sessions are currently being arranged with one scheduled for 12.30pm on 12 August 2020; watch this space .....


Voting is compulsory at Council elections if you are a resident and enrolled on the voters roll by a set date.

You are encouraged to vote but do not have to vote if you are :

  • Aged 70 years or over; or
  • A non-resident voter

You are already enrolled in this election if you are at least 18 years of age and

  • You are on the State electoral roll for your present address; or
  • You own property in the municipality but live in a different municipality, and you are the first or second-named person on the Council’s rate records; or
  • You have applied to Council to be enrolled in the election.

Note: You are only entitled to ONE VOTE in a municipality no matter how many properties you own or occupy in that municipality.

You must apply to the Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) to enrol if :

  • You are an Australian citizen aged 18 years of age or over.
  • You have lived at your present address for at least a month.
  • You are not on the State electoral roll for your present address.

If you are an Australian citizen who lives in Victoria you can check your enrolment details online at vec.vic.gov.au/Enrolment at any time.

If you think you might have a council-administered voting entitlement, contact council staff on 5358 8700.  Information on voting entitlements will be made available in the lead up to the 2020 election on the VEC website.

Download an enrolment form from www.vec.gov.au or contact the Victorian Electoral Commission on 13 18 32.

Forms are also available from the post office.

You may apply to Council if you are at least 18 years of age and

  • You are a non-Australian citizen who lives and pays rates in the municipality; or
  • You pay rates on a property you occupy and have no other voting entitlement in the municipality (eg you are a shop tenant), and are either named on the Council’s rates records to receive the rates notice or have the written consent of the owner to vote in their place; or
  • You are a director or company secretary of a corporation that pays rates in the municipality and you have no other voting entitlement within the municipality.

If you fit the above criteria you can apply to Council to vote in this election.  To do this, you need to complete an enrolment form available from Council’s Rates Department.

Northern Grampians Council elections are conducted by postal voting.   All council election information can be found on the Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) website in the lead up to the 2020 Elections.

Details about currently elected councillors can be found here.


The Local Government Act 1989 requires that the Chief Executive Officer publish a summary of Campaign Donation Returns(PDF, 55KB) which details campaign donations/gifts received.