Citizenship ceremonies are administered by the council on behalf of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).
Ceremonies in the Northern Grampians Shire are held by appointment.
You can become a citizen of Australia in different ways. You must meet set criteria before you apply. Learn about being an Australian citizen.
Responsibilities and privileges
As an Australian citizens you have new responsibilities to:
- behave in accordance with Australia's democratic beliefs
- respect the rights and liberties of Australia
- follow and obey the law
- vote in federal and state or territory elections, and in referenda
- defend Australia if necessary
- serve on a jury if called to do so.
As an Australian citizens you are eligible for certain entitlements
- apply for an Australian passport
- leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want
- ask for help from an Australian consulate if in trouble overseas
- vote in federal, state or territory elections
- seek election to parliament, if you are aged 18 years or over and are not dual citizen
- register the birth of your children in another country as an Australian citizen
How to apply
For information on eligibility and how to apply, see "Become an Australian citizen."
Citizenship Information Line: 131 881
Northern Grampians Shire Council: 03 5358 8700