No longer on display. Expired on
06 July 2022, 06:00 PM
Notice is hereby given pursuant to section 73(3) of the Local Government Act 2020 (Act), that at its Council meeting on 6 June 2022, Northern Grampians Shire Council (Council) resolved to give notice of its intention, under Division 3 of Part 3 of the Act to make the General Local Law 2022.
The objectives of the proposed General Local Law 2022 are to provide for:
- the peace, order, and good governance of the municipality
- a safe and healthy environment so that the community within the municipality can enjoy a quality of life that meets expectations
- the safe and fair use and enjoyment of municipal places
- the protection and enhancement of the amenity and environment of the municipality
- the fair and reasonable enjoyment of private land
- the protection of assets vested in Council
- the uniform and fair administration of the General Local Law 2022
The intended effect of the proposed local law
Council’s existing local law, the General Local Law 2012 is due to expire on 7 September 2022. The proposed General Local Law 2022 is intended to renew the local law with a modern local law that addresses current issues within the Shire and legislative changes that have occurred since 2012.
The proposed General Local 2022:
- regulates matters relating to:
- community safety and amenity – heavy vehicles, open air burning and burning of offensive materials, unsightly land, English and European wasps, camping, obstructing vegetation, premises numbers, and matters relating to waste bins and waste collection
- municipal places – the use of municipal places, the prohibition of smoking in declared areas, liquor consumption, behaviour, activities, vehicles, events, fireworks, and footpath use, and
- animals – excess animals in residential areas, agricultural animals in residential areas, animals in rural areas, the prohibition of cats in the Halls Gap area, and the grazing, moving or droving of livestock, and
- allows for the effective administration and enforcement of the local law through:
- the use of Guidelines made from time to time by Council as incorporated documents under the local law,
- the administration of a scheme for permits to be issued which will allow activities regulated by the local law to occur in a manner that is overseen by Council, and
- enforcement mechanisms available for contravening or failing to comply with the local law – powers of authorised officers to make directions, notices to comply, infringement notices, and prosecution.
The proposed General Local Law 2022 can be viewed on Council’s website at www.ngshire.vic.gov.au/Have-Your-Say or alternatively, copies are available at Council offices in Stawell and St Arnaud or by contacting Customer Service on 03 5358 8700 to arrange a copy.
Council is conducting community engagement on the proposed General Local Law 2022 in accordance with its Community Engagement Policy.
Any person may make a written submission to Council about the proposed General Local Law 2022. Submissions are to be sent to Northern Grampians Shire Council, PO Box 580, Stawell VIC 3380 or emailed to email@example.com. Submissions are to be received by no later than 5pm Wednesday, 6 July 2022.
Any submissions received must be considered by Council and any person making a submission is entitled to state in the submission that they wish to appear in person or to be represented by a person specified in the submission at a meeting to be heard in support of the submission.
Please note that copies of submissions will be made available at the Council meeting at which the proposal will be considered. Submissions will form part of the minutes of the meeting, which are made available on Council’s website.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER