Application Process

1. Overview

Lodging an Application

Before you start you should discuss your proposal with one of Council's Planning Officers.

The Planning Department is available by appointment only at the Customer Service Centres in Stawell and St Arnaud.

A Planning Officer will be able to give advice on any additional requirements for the application based on the type of proposal.

2. Considering

Council may give notice of an application based on the type of application. 

When giving notice Council may notify the public in the following matter:

  • An advertisement in the classifieds section of the local newspaper
  • A sign placed on the subject property
  • A copy of the application available at customer service

Council may also refer the application to other statutory bodies for advice and comment. 

3. Objecting to an Application

Anybody who feels they are affected by a proposal can object to the granting of the permit. For Council to consider an Objection it must satisfy the following requirements:

  • It must be in writing
  • It should clearly state the reasons for objecting and how you would be affected
  • If a group of people are making a combined objection, such as a petition, they should nominate one contact person

Council cannot make a decision on an application until at least 14 days after the giving of the last notice.

After the decision is made, however, it is still possible to object by applying for a VCAT review.

4. Deciding on an Application

At the end of the notification period, the council or responsible authority will decide either to refuse a permit, grant a permit or, if there are objections, issue a 'Notice of Decision' to grant a permit.

The applicant and all objectors will be informed of the council's decision via a Notice of Decision, or a refusal. 

5. Appeals

If your permit application is refused by the council or the responsible authority, or their decision contains conditions which you are not happy about, you may lodge an application for review to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

You can also apply for a VCAT review if you wish to object to a decision to grant a planning permit.

VCAT conducts public hearings and considers submissions from all parties involved. They assess the proposal's planning merits, decide whether a permit should be granted and what conditions are appropriate.