Heat wave predicted for Northern Grampians Shire
Published on 08 February 2017
Severe heatwave conditions are predicted for the Northern Grampians Shire from Thursday 9th February through to Saturday 12th Feb 2017.
A Heat Health Alert has been issued for Thursday 9th Feb 2017.
Council have established a number of ‘cooling centres’ for residents in need of a cool place. These will be open on Thursday 9th February 2017.
Residents in need of refuge from the heat should attend one of the following locations:
- Stawell Leisure Complex, Houston Street, Stawell (open from 6am - 6pm & longer if required)
- Perry Room, Northern Grampians Shire Council, 40 Napier Street, St Arnaud (open 10am -4pm)
- Grampians Community Health, 8-22 Patrick Street, Stawell (open 9am - 5pm)
What is a heatwave?
A heatwave is a period of unusually hot weather that could impact on human health, community infrastructure, such as the power supply and public transport, and services. Heatwaves are a pervasive diffuse natural hazard (a silent killer) that can affect anybody and can cause illnesses such as heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke, which may be fatal.
Who is at risk?
Anyone can suffer from heat-related illness, but those most at risk are:People who are aged and frail, particularly those living alone without air conditioning;
- pregnant women, breast feeding mothers, infants and young children;
- overweight or obese people, particularly those with a chronic or mental illness;
- people with health conditions that impair sweating;
- people with limited or poor mobility; and
- people taking medications that may interfere with the body’s ability to regulate temperature.
How can I look after myself during a heatwave?
- Keep cool (close out the heat/open when cooler, utilise the coolest rooms, turn off non-essentials. Wear light, loose clothes. Use damp cloth, shower or spray water);
- Drink plenty of water;
- Stay out of the sun (If you have to go outside, go early or late in the day, change schedules if needed, evacuate to a cool refuge if required – this includes public spaces, other people‟s homes, cooling centres or hospitals); and
- look after yourself and help others if you can
For more information