Fire Preparedness

Permits to burn

Rural Living and Farming Zones
Schedule 13 permits are required to burn grass and stubble for farming purposes in rural living and farming zones during the declared Fire Danger Period. Outside the declared Fire Danger Period, land in these zones is exempt from permit requirements. 

Other Zones
Open Air Permits to Burn (under Council’s General Local Law 2012) are required to burn materials on land not zoned as rural living or farming outside the declared Fire Danger Period. More information on this application process can be found on Council's Local Laws page.

More information on fire restrictions can be found on the Country Fire Authority's website

Municipal Fire Management Plan

Northern Grampians Shire Council has prepared a Municipal Fire Management Plan (MFMP) pursuant to section 55A of the CFA Act 1958. The Northern Grampians Shire MFMP contains plans and input from Council, the Country Fire Authority (CFA), the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning (DELWP), Parks Victoria (PV), Victoria Police, and other key stakeholders. The MFMP is a sub plan of the Municipal Emergency Management Plan (MEMP).

Council's current MFMP is accessible by selecting the link below.

Municipal Fire Management Plan 2016-2019 Version 1.0(PDF, 12MB)

The CFA has declared the Fire Danger Period in the Northern Grampians Shire for 20 November 2017 - 1 May 2018.

Other Fire Related Information

CFA's 'Can I, Can't I?' brochure