Local Laws - Permits and Enforcement

Permits are required to be obtained from Council's Local Laws department for activities as described below. Please complete the appropriate application form and submit with the required fee for consideration.

  • Placing displays or goods on footways
  • Keeping excess animals
  • Street trading/collections/raffles
  • Application for disabled parking
  • Placing rubbish skips on a road surface
  • Activities occupying parking spaces
  • Application for open air permit to burn
Please note that permits for liquor consumption in municipal places must now be applied for as part of Council's online Venue Hire process.


Exemptions from Fees and Charges for temporary permit.

 1. A community group based in the municipality and

  • the activity is assisting the group or organisation to raise funds that will be used to support the community within the municipality
  • the activity is approved and supported by the group or organisation that is seeking the permit

2. Registered charity

3. Religious group registered with the Tax office

4. Not for profit organisations such as Lions, Rotary, Apex, CFA, Ambulance, SES, RSL, schools, scouts, guides.

Download Applications:



Can I light a fire?

Before lighting a fire in the open air individuals must obtain a 'Permit to Burn' from Council. Permits to burn contain set conditions which must be adhered to.

When do I need a Permit?

Outside the fire danger period any person wishing to burn any materials on land which is not zoned as a rural living zone or farm zone must obtain a permit to burn under Council's General Local Law 2012(PDF, 15MB). During this time land zoned as rural or farmland is exempt from permit requirements.

Burning Restrictions

During the declared fire danger period any person without exception must apply for a permit to burn from the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer.

During days of total fire ban no person is permitted to light a fire in the open air and severe penalties including prosecution apply for doing so.

Prior to Burning

At least two(2) hours prior to lighting a fire, Notice of Intention to conduct a burning operation must be given to:

  • the owner or occupier of land adjoining the property where the fires located and;
  • VICFIRE on: 1800 668 511.

What can I burn?

Only materials which are regarded as organic and dry should be burnt as it is unlawful for smoke to cause a nuisance or be detrimental to the health of another person or property.

Things which cannot be burnt include:

a) any household waste;
b) any manufactured chemicals;
c) any rubber or plastic;
d) any petroleum, oil or derivative thereof;
e) any paint or receptacle which contains or which contained paint;
f) food waste, fish or other offensive or noxious matter;
g) any explosive material or container which may cause an explosion;
h) any other material deemed offensive or dangerous by an Authorised Officer of the Council

Is there a charge for a permits issue?

A $37.10 application fee applies and an inspection may be required in certain circumstances.

Enquiries: Northern Grampians Shire Council on: 5358 8700.

For further information, check CFA Fire Restrictions in Victoria.

Local Laws Infringement Notices

If you receive an Infringement Notice you may apply for review of the decision to serve the infringement notice under certain circumstances (refer to Section 22 of the Infringements Act 2006).

Application for Internal Review of an Infringement Notice(PDF, 279KB)